“While some social media posts I have read have expressed panic about the end of journalism in the Trump Era, I would rather focus on lessons from Journalism 101 to navigate this new age.
Those lessons include the following:
- Credibility matters and it is the only currency a journalist has
- Seek to tell the truth boldly and fearlessly
- Challenge untruthful and incomplete statements (especially on social media)
- Errors happen, so seek to correct or clarify them quickly
- Be relentless and never stop asking questions
The Trump Era will be a test for journalists not just in challenging the president but also in persuading the public that it matters.”
The challenge of the press in the Trump Era
David Plazas, The Tennessean
If they come to their senses in time,
Then perhaps they can lessen the crime
born of ignorance and greed
that created the need
For the shift toward a new paradigm.
© 2017 Susan E. Eckenrode
Make that shift toward a new paradigm
but we cannot just turn on a dime;
since much damage is done,
when that new day’s begun,
we’ll be facing a long uphill climb.
© 2017 Lily Beth Baker
We’ll be facing a long uphill climb
in the work of removing the slime
from the Liberty Bell,
but the muses compel
a resistance in rhythm and rhyme.
© 2017 Mary Boren